ELLIS (European Laboratory for Learning and Intelligent Systems, https://ellis.eu) is a European network of excellence for the advancement of modern artificial intelligence (AI). It focuses on fundamental science, technical innovation and societal impact. The job opening is part of the ELISE project that has recently been established by ELLIS and is funded by the EU within the ICT-48 program.
You are a talented developer who knows the web. Your design work is clean, focused, and inspiring to others. The ELLIS coordination office is looking to develop new web-based tools to support its operations and help achieve its mission to establish a leading open-science AI institute. Our research groups are pushing the boundaries of how scientific research can be integrated with the web, promoting our online presence, and seeking new ways to bring our worldwide research community closer.
You will work as part of an international team collaborating with web developers, scientific coordinators, and faculty members at the University of Tübingen, the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems and the wider ELLIS network.
- You will develop and maintain new tools to support the ELLIS coordination office and the ELLIS network. This will include an application portal for the newly established ELLIS PhD program aiming to become a recognized world-class brand. You will communicate with and report to your international team.
- You will help develop the online presence of the ELLIS organization and the associated ELISE project.
- You’ll also be helping researchers to present their work online, publish new datasets, web apps, and web services.
- With your technical expertise, you’ll be managing your own priorities, deadlines, and deliverables. You design, develop, test, deploy, measure, maintain, and enhance the solutions you put in place.
- completed Bachelor's degree or equivalent skills and experience
- extensive experience developing consumer and/or commercial web apps and websites
- proven track record and a passion for designing compelling, user-driven experiences
- strong visual design skills, including an eye for good typography, composition and use of colour
- exposure to web server configuration/admin (Apache, nginx)
- experience with databases (PostgreSQL or MySQL) and version control systems (preferably git)
- an independent and reliable way of working, friendly attitude and high motivation to learn new skills
- good written/spoken English
We offer highly interesting, challenging, and varied tasks at the interface between science and administration in a highly active field of research. A dedicated team awaits you in an international environment with regular opportunities for further education and training.
The salary is paid in accordance with the collective agreement for public service of the Länder (TV-L). The employment will be carried out by the central administration of the University of Tübingen. This position is initially for the duration of the ELISE project (until August 2023) and will be based in Tübingen.
The University of Tübingen seeks to increase the number of women in areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. Equally qualified applicants with disabilities will be given preference.
Your application must contain a cover letter in English, a curriculum vitae, relevant certificates and work examples as a portfolio if possible. Your application should be sent in a single PDF file until November 30, 2020 to Lynn Anthonissen at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Application: Web Developer in ELISE”. Inquiries can also be sent to this email address.