The ELLIS Institute Tübingen is sponsored with a 100 Mio EUR endowment from the Hector Foundation. We will be located near Stuttgart in the historic city of Tübingen, a beautiful university town in the southwest of Germany, tucked against a vast nature park. Major cities including Zurich, Munich and Frankfurt are within a few hours by public transportation. Serving direct flights to major European cities, Stuttgart airport is within half an hour.
Our mission is to build the next generation of learning systems and a deeper understanding of the organizing principles underlying intelligent systems, in an environment that aims to solve fundamental societal and scientific problems for humankind. To attract talent sharing this goal, we offer top conditions, a fluid relationship with startups and the chance to have societal and economic impact, as part of a community working towards a joint European ecosystem.
The ELLIS Institute will be embedded in the Cyber Valley ecosystem in the Stuttgart-Tübingen region, which attracts both research talent and founders. It will be closely linked to the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems and the University of Tübingen, and supported by the State of Baden-Württemberg. To help build the ELLIS Institute, we seek to hire a
Scientific Coordinator (m/w/d)
- Support the budget and staffing planning for the new institute, including supporting infrastructure and resources
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders from ministries, foundations, universities, and research institutions
- Coordinate scientific activities and research cooperation with academic and industrial partners, including collaboration contracts
- Support the scientific directorate in all matters of planning
- Plan and manage the recruiting process for new research group leaders and Fellows of the institute, and connect researchers from partner institutions
- Prepare presentations and reports
- Organize scientific and public events
- Completed scientific higher education, preferably Ph.D.
- Ideally, you have a background in natural sciences or engineering (Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or similar field), and/or you are willing to learn about AI research
- Excellent command of both German and English (at least C1 level)
- Ideally, experience in public or private research management, or experience in industry research
- Very strong management and organizational skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- You are a team player, and you work in an independent and responsible way
- A high level of resilience and professionalism
You will work closely with scientists, other research coordinators, administrative staff, and IT to help achieve the scientific goals of the new institute. Salaries will be competitive and based on experience according to TVöD guidelines. This is a full-time position. An initial contract will be offered through December 31, 2023, based at the MPI for Intelligent Systems. The possibility of continuing employment at the future ELLIS Institute exists.
The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to ap-ply. The Max Planck Society strives for gender equality and diversity. We welcome applications from any background.
The position is available at the earliest convenience and will be open until filled. Preference will be given to applications received by January 20, 2023.
Please upload your application as a single pdf-file through our applicant portal.
Inquiries should be sent to email@example.com.
or as a hardcopy application to:
Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems