The researchers will work at IIT within the Computational Statistics and Machine Learning group (https://www.iit.it/it/web/computational-statistics-and-machine-learning) led by Prof. Massimiliano Pontil, and also be part of the ELLIS Unit Genoa (ellisgenoa.eu).
These positions are part of a broader plan at IIT to recruit scientists in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and related application areas of science and engineering.
Deadline: August 15, 2022
At IIT we work enthusiastically to develop human-centered Science and Technology to tackle some of the most pressing societal challenges of our times and transfer these technologies to the production system and society. Our Genoa headquarters are strictly interconnected with the other 11 centers around Italy and two outstations based in the US. We promote excellence in basic and applied research such as neuroscience and cognition, humanoid technologies and robotics, nanotechnology, materials for a truly multidisciplinary scientific experience.
You’d be working in a multicultural and multi-disciplinary group, where Computer Scientists, engineers, physicists, mathematicians, and statisticians collaborate together, each with their own expertise, to carry out common research.
The group's research is in the areas of machine learning theory and algorithms, with a focus on multitask and meta-learning, online and interactive learning, kernel methods and statistical learning theory, dynamical systems and time series analysis. We are also interested in techniques from mathematical statistics, numerical linear algebra and optimization.
Within the team, your main responsibilities will be to investigate open research problems in machine learning, write research papers and when appropriate open-source software to fully reproduce the results presented in the papers. You may also be involved in co-supervision of PhD students and other group activities (teaching, technology transfer project, etc.) depending on your interests.
- A PhD in Mathematics, Computer Science or related disciplines.
- Documented experience on Machine Learning Theory and Algorithms
- A strong track record of research publications in top tier conferences and journals (COLT, ICML, NIPS, Annals of Statistics, JMLR, etc.) is a plus.
- Strong problem-solving attitude
- The ability to properly report, organize and publish your research results.
- Good command in spoken and written English.
- Experience in coaching PhD students and master students.
- Experience on writing research proposal
- Good knowledge of software tools (Python, TensorFlow, etc.)
- Spirit of innovation and creativity
- Good in time and priority management
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a challenging and international environment
- Competitive salary package for international standards
- Private health care coverage (depending on your role and contract)
- Wide range of staff discounts
Candidates from abroad or Italian citizens who permanently work abroad and meet specific requirements, may be entitled to a deduction from taxable income of up to 90% from 6 to 13 years.
For more information and instruction about how to apply see: