The initial contract will be for 2-3 years depending on the project with a possibility for an extension.
Ideal candidates have a PhD in Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, computer science or a related discipline and are fluent in English.
Application deadline: January 15th, 2024. After that, the position will remain open until filled. We will consider applications as soon as they are submitted.
- Developing your own research program embedded into the research agenda of the UKP Lab, including publications in top CL/NLP venues. Current open projects include:
- Conversational human-AI collaboration in expert domains.
- Modelling cross-document relations in long documents (ERC Advanced Grant project).
- Multimodal fact-checking & QA grounded in structured and unstructured data and knowledge graph.
- NLP for mental health and privacy-aware NLP.
- Interactive code generation (as part of the research center for cybersecurity and privacy ATHENE).
- It is possible to propose a topic bottom-up .
- Academic service, e.g., co-advising Master and PhD students, co-teaching NLP courses.
UKP lab is part of ELLIS (ELLIS NLP and the ELLIS unit in Darmstadt, the Konrad Zuse School of Excellence in Learning and Intelligent Systems (ELIZA), and the Hessian.AI, a new center in which the faculty from the main Hessian universities collaborate on advancing machine learning, including NLP. ELLIS, ELIZA and Hessian.AI provide a rich environment for networking with other researchers in NLP and AI and for collaboration with other research labs.
UKP Lab is internationally recognized for its research on NLP including language representation learning, argument mining, question answering and conversational AI. We are a highly international and interdisciplinary team of about 40 full-time researchers. Iryna Gurevych is co-director of the ELLIS NLP program. She is co-affiliated with the NLP Department at MBZUAI and she has an excellent network of international collaborators. The majority of PhD students have an international co-supervisor.
UKP Lab is committed to cutting-edge research, publishing in top-tier venues, cooperative work style and close interaction of all team members. The selected candidates enjoy diverse opportunities for professional growth, leading both to successful faculty careers and exciting industrial research opportunities.
The position assumes that you can move to Darmstadt or a nearby German location. Darmstadt is very close to the Frankfurt airport and provides an excellent living environment for incoming staff members.
Please submit your application via the following form: https://careers.ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/ukprecruitment