We welcome applications across all domains of machine learning, artificial intelligence, and associated fields. Examples of research topics include but are not limited to:
- development of new AI architectures for biology and hybrid models that combine deep learning with mechanistic models;
- foundation models of genome regulation using single-cell and spatial multi-omics data;
- AI-based modeling of protein structure and protein interaction networks;
- AI-based modeling of cell morphology and tissue function using imaging and computer vision;
- AI models of disease and digital twin applications
Biological applications are broad: from microorganisms to plant biology, biodiversity and ecology, neuroscience, cancer, and immunology. We also welcome applicants with applied projects, including synthetic biology, AI-driven experiments (experiment-in-the-loop), or bio-engineering.
VIB.AI was established in 2023 with the core mission to study fundamental problems in biology by combining machine learning with in-depth knowledge of biological processes. We aim to work towards foundation models and integrative theories of biological systems, and towards innovative AI-driven biotech applications in synthetic biology, agro-tech, personalized medicine...
Junior and senior group leader positions
The group leader positions at VIB are tied to a KU Leuven (tenure track) professor position and come with full salary and core funding (internationally competitive package) that is renewable for multiple additional 5-year periods, as well as access to state-of-the-art research and top-notch support core facilities, including support to attract talented PhD students and postdocs from across the world.
- PhD or equivalent experience in machine learning or a related quantitative field (Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Computational Biology/Chemistry).
- Candidates will be considered at junior or more senior levels assuming relevant experience in foundational machine learning research and/or applied machine learning in an academic and/or industrial setting (post-doctoral).
- Excellent machine learning and programming experience.
- Published impactful research, demonstrates creativity, originality and addresses relevant problems in biology & computational research.
- Demonstrated ability to acquire competitive funding.
- Interdisciplinary mindset and keen on collaborating broadly in the center, the department and the university.
- Motivated to guide postdoctoral researchers, PhD interns, and full-time scientists.
- International working experience.
- You have a thorough knowledge of spoken and written English.
- Substantial core research funding that is renewable every 5 years.
- An attractive employment package including 100% of your salary and excellent health benefits.
- Access to a vibrant academic environment that encourages collaboration with top experts in biology, computational biology, engineering and computer science both at VIB and KU Leuven.
- Access to a highly talented pool of students in biology, computational biology, engineering and computer science from the KU Leuven bachelor and master programs.
- New open-design state-of-the-art research space.
- Access to computing cluster infrastructure at the VIB Data Core and Flemish Supercomputer Center.
- Access to excellent and staffed core facilities at the Center, at VIB, and at KU Leuven (including sequencing, proteomics, single cell, microscopy, data core, and many more).
- Possibility to also perform wet lab activities in state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Broad administrative support, including help recruiting technicians, PhD students and post-doc scientists for your group.
- Access to a dedicated business development team specialized in technology transfer and valorization.
- Professional leadership training.
- An internationally recognized workplace that values diversity, promotes an inclusive environment.
- Help with relocation and establishing a life in Belgium, including visa application (if necessary), and finding housing, schooling and daycare.