The awards are sponsored by the Kühborth Stiftung GmbH and have been established to recognize and encourage outstanding research achievements during the dissertation phase of outstanding students working in the field of artificial intelligence and machine learning including related fields such as computer vision and robotics. This year, the awards were given for the previous three years, thereafter they will be given annually.
From a set of very strong nominations, an international committee of renowned experts chose the following scholars as ELLIS Ph.D. Award winners:
- Maria Barrett (U Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Wittawat Jitkrittum (Gatsby, UC London, UK)
- Alex Kendall (Cambridge U, UK)
- Diederik Kingma (U Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- Anastasia Pentina (IST Austria, Austria)
- Siyu Tang (MPI Informatics, Germany)